He encourages us to be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Since human effort is inadequate but the Power of God is invincible which is unbeatable (verse10).
Apostle Paul describes the spiritual battle that takes place against evil in the heavenly realm (verse12). It is not against by the flesh and blood but these are beings in the unseen world.
In verse 13, he says that we need to “stand your ground” and “Stand firm”. This verse indicates the full Armor of God. So that if the day will come describe in verse 12, we could be able to stand on ground and firm with good foundation.
What are the Armor of God?
- Belt of truth (verse14). Paul reminds us to buckle this belt around our waist. It a symbolic clothing of Messiah. In Isaiah 11:5 it says that: Righteousness will be his belt and faithfulness the sash around his waist. If we will going to wear the Belt of truth, we will not grow tired and stumbles (Isaiah5:27) because He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak (Isaiah 40:29).
- Breastplate of righteousness. God himself is symbolically described as putting on a breastplate of righteousness when he goes forth to bring about justice.
- Sandal of peace (Verse15) A feet fitted with readiness. A description of messenger feet (Isaiah 52:7). A feet who brings the good news. A reference to messengers who ran from the scene of a battle to bring news to the outcome to a waiting king. It reflects the custom of running barefooted, here the message of the gospel is picturesquely connected with the protective and supportive footgear of the Romansoldier, the Gospel of peace.
- Shield of faith (Verse16) is vitally important to a soldier. It provides a blanket of protection. It is meant to be taken up in all circumstances. It is the first barrier against the enemy attack. A Christian who takes up the shield of faith identifies himself as a foot soldier who serves the Commander of the Lord´s army (Joshua 5:14). In Hebrew 11:1 says “Now death is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.” Verse 6, “Without faith it is impossible to please God”. Satan attacks can sometimes cause us to doubt God. Faith prompts us to believe God. We give in to temptation when we believe that it has to offer is better than what God has promised. Faith reminds us that, though fulfilment of God´s promise may not be readily visible to us, God is true to His word. When Satan attempts to plaque us with doubts or entice us with instant gratification, faith recognized the deceptiveness of his tactics and quickly extinguished the arrows.
- The Helmet of Salvation (Verse17) When a soldier suited up for a battle, the helmet was the last piece of armor to go on. It was the final act of readiness in preparation for a combat. A helmet was vital for survival, protecting the brain, command the station for the rest of the body. If the head was badly damaged, the rest of the armor would be little use. The Idea in this verse is that, as we prepare for Satan´s attack , we must grab that helmet and buckle it on tightly. Salvation is not limited to a one-time act old the past or even a future hope. God´s salvation as an on-going, eternal state that His children enjoy in the present. It is daily protection and deliverance from our sin nature and Satan schemes.
Points to remember:
- Renew our mind. Our mind is a battlefield. Instruct to renew our mind. Allows God´s word to wipe out anything contrary to it.
- Rejects doubts – Stand on your faith. God rewards our faith; we can choose to believe what appears impossible (Hebrew 11:6).
- Keep eternal perspective when life crashes in around us, we must remember to look up. Our salvation is the most precious gift we have received.
- Remember that victory is already accomplished. When we consider ourselves “Dead to sin but alive to God”.
- Find all our hope in Him. Our helmet is most effective when we treasure what is represents.
- The Sword of the Spirit. This is our offense and defense. We need to immerse ourselves to the word of God. In Hebrew 4:12 God refers to His Word as a sword. The word is described as living and active and sharper than a double-edge sword. The Word of God reaches the heart the very center of action and lays open the motives and feeling of those it touches. The purpose of the sword of the Spirit is to make us strong and able to withstand the evil onslaughts of Satan. The more we know and understand the Word of God, the more useful we will be in doing the will of God and the more effective we will be in standing against the enemy of our souls.
- Pray in the Spirit – it is very important that we commune to God always.